The things we do to survive grad school

>> Thursday, September 18, 2008

One of the many things that comes with being a student again is the "just get by" job that follows the crazy class schedule and late study hours. For the past couple of months, I've been working at a coffee shop to do just that--get by. I can honestly say that the past two months have been unlike any other I have ever experienced. At first, it was all fun and games, but then, things got a little crazy. Let's just say that I never know what to expect every day, and that makes for quite the comedy.

First, there's the shift manager who is just working there because he's bored and needs something else to fill his time. He's already had a major career and currently works as a consultant for 43 hours a week on top of his supervisor duties at the coffee shop. Oh, have I mentioned that he's a trust fund baby who has multiple time shares across the country? Yep...I know what you're thinking.

Then there is the teenager with the philosophy that rather than a "no drug and alcohol" policy, companies should have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Why should he come to work completely sober as long as he can still function when he's on drugs and has been drinking? God save us all if he ever makes it into politics and gets his way.

Oh, have I mentioned the guy who calls everyone "Baby"?? That has been the subject of many a conversations...why do I find it so offensive that co-worker calls me "Baby"? Do not even get me started...

And how could I forget the guy who always has some sort of convoluted, insane story about what happened the day before? And I can't forget to point out the fact that he thinks of the coffee shop as his dating service. Trust me, recounting sexual escapades to would-be dates (either co-workers or customers) is not the best way to win the ladies over.

I could keep going about the people that work there. But you know, I really don't think anyone can make it out of there in a normal state of mind. I, for one, started developing my own little quirks after I spent an afternoon looking up the nutritional information for all of the products offered in the store. All day long customers come in and start ordering their drinks packed full of chocolates and syrups and 2% milk, topped whipped cream and candy sprinkles. And I can't tell you how many times I hear, "you know, I think I'll just take one of those 'reduced fat' scones, too". Now, math is NOT my strong suit, but as I sit there punching in their orders into the register, numbers start flying through my mind, and it really doesn't take a genius to realize that the calories these people are about to consume are more than they should be eating in two meals, much less in their afternoon caffeine fix. Seriously, I can't help myself. Every single order. It takes all of my willpower not to blurt out alternative, more "figure friendly" drink and food options. So just be warned, if I have taken your order, I know how many calories you are eating (or drinking, whatever the case may be). I'll try not to judge you.

Alas, things change and life's seasons come and go. I'm starting a new job next week so Monday will be my last day at the coffee shop. I can honestly say that I am pretty excited about this new adventure, and I am definitely looking forward to leaving behind the days of the customer service job. I'm sure eventually I'll look back at these past two months and laugh. And not to worry, I will definitely be seeing these crazy characters around...most likely every day as I head to the new office. One thing's for sure...if nothing else, I'm taking away quite the caffeine addiction from my coffee shop adventures.

1 comments:

Lorelle,  September 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM  

Yay for blog updates! and SUPER YAY for talking on the phone to you this week. LOVE!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP