Caribou Queen
>> Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Well, a lot has changed in life since I last posted. The full-time job is no more, second semester of grad school is in full swing (and almost killing me, might I add...), and I've found myself back at The Bou attempting to earn a little money to pay the bills.
Not too much has changed around The Bou, but there is one new policy. The Name Game--always get the customer's name for the Barista. It makes sense if you think about it--much more personable to say, "Scott, your medium, extra-hot, vanilla latte with two extra shots and no foam is ready" rather than screaming out the longest drink order ever. Because really, who can remember all of that? I mean, the customers can't even remember what they ordered, much less recognize the name when you call it out...ANYWAY, customers like it, and it has really cut down on the amount of time we spend remaking drink orders because someone picked up a white mocha instead of the cappuccino they ordered. Sometimes, though, this new policy provides for some awkward experiences where you just have to laugh.
Take the other day, for instance. A man came in and ordered a medium cappuccino, his usual. Now this guy comes in a lot--seriously, every other day. And every other day, we ask, "Can we get your name for the Barista?", or, "Could we get a name for the order?", or something to that effect. On this particular day, I happened to be working the bar, and another co-worker, Abby, was working the register. The man ordered his medium cappuccino, and the Abby asked, "Could I get a name for the Barista?". The man looked a little strange. He made a face like he was a little confused, and then he tapped his chin, like he was deep in thought. Abby looked at me for clarification, and I just shrugged my shoulders, because I had know idea what was going on.
And then I heard him: "Hmm, a name for the Barista? Really? Well, I'm not feeling too creative this morning, especially since I haven't had any caffeine, but...how about Caribou Queen?"
I almost died. Abby had to walk into the back office because she was laughing so hard, and I would have too had I not been in the middle of making drinks. This man, after months of giving us his name, just thought that we asked him to...Name the Barista. I tried my best to maintain my composure, especially when he walked over to the bar. This is what our conversation sounded like:
Caffeine-Deprived Customer (glancing around to see if anyone else is naming the Barista): "Wow, that's kind of strange. Name the Barista. That's a new concept...so, do you ask that of a lot of people?"
Me (Doing my best to keep a straight face): "Oh, you know, just random people..."
CDC (looking at me rather confused): "Huh, that's kind of a funny game you've got there. What are some of the other names you've gotten lately?"
Me (frantically trying to think of some "creative" names--I had not had my morning cup of coffee either): "Hmm, well, I don't know really, all kinds of crazy names..."
CDC (yep, he's still pretty confused): "Huh, ok..."
Me (biting my tongue because I'm about to burst out laughing): "Here you go sir, enjoy your medium cappuccino, and have a good day."
CDC (after he walked away and realized his mistake): "You know, I just realized that she was asking for MY name...Wow, I'm embarrassed. That's pretty funny..."
Me (Couldn't hold it in anymore, I just laughed at the poor guy): "Yeah, sorry about that...No worries though, have a good one!"
I mean, it was amazing...it's the little things that really brighten your day and make a shift at The Bou a little more exciting.
The best part? Now, EVERY time he comes back in, he brings it up..."Hey, remember that time you guys asked for my name and I called you the Caribou Queen? Man that was embarrassing...I was actually at a happy hour the other day and told that story to someone..."
I love the Name Game.

0 comments:
Post a Comment