Bishop Bob

>> Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I recently learned that someone very special to many people passed away last week. Bishop Bob was a retired bishop in the Diocese of Alabama. For myself and many of my friends, this man stood as a spiritual cornerstone throughout our young lives--confirmations, camp sessions, youth events--he never missed a moment to reach out and build relationships with those with whom he came into contact. I learned a lot from him over the years, but one of my fondest memories comes with a very profound message: sometimes serving others means stepping out of your comfort zone.

One summer, Bishop Bob was the director of an Elementary Camp Session at Camp McDowell. I have no idea what the program was about, nor could I really tell you who was there, but I can tell you that during that session, I witnessed one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Bishop Bob took on the high dive.

During most of the younger sessions at camp, we always hold the Swim Olympics. Campers join together with their cabinmates to create a cabin cheer, perform crazy dives, and challenge other cabins to pool relays in their counselor's clothes. Program staff sits at one end of the pool to judge the competitions. And when it's all said and done, gold, silver, and bronze metals are given out to the appropriate cabins.

This particular Swim Olympics was especially interesting. Just as the games were ending and we were about to herd the children to the Rec Hall, I heard a little voice shout, "Hey! Bishop Bob! Go off the high dive!" I immediately started laughing at the thought. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this 70-something-year-old man would actually do it. As he stood from his chair, the mass began to chant: "Bishop Bob! Bishop Bob! Bishop Bob!" The closer he got to the ladder, we counselors gathered together, staring in awe at the situation...was this really happening?

It did. One step, two steps, three steps...all the way to the top. And then, almost as if in slow motion, Bishop Bob trotted to the end of the board and off he went! As he soared through the air, the children erupted. I have no doubt that you could hear their ecstatic cheers throughout the entire camp. It was quite the sight to see--almost 100 children were hooting and hollering and jumping up and down and pumping their fists in the air. Bishop Bob had just jumped off the high dive.

The session ended and the campers went home. We gathered as a staff to debrief after the session. One of my friends spoke up, "Bishop Bob, I still can't get over the Swim Olympics. That was amazing--I will never forget watching you jump off the high dive. And I guarantee, none of these kids will either."

And Bishop Bob replied, "Well, you know, it was a little exhillerating to say the least. But at the end of the day, if you've brought joy into the life of another, it's all worth it. Making someone smile is one of the greatest acts of serving each other."

Bishop Bob will be greatly missed, but his memory will live on among those who knew him.

1 comments:

Lorelle,  July 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Well said my friend. You know, his ashes were buried at camp next to the new chapel.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP