5k Fever

>> Tuesday, May 17, 2011

About 6 weeks ago, I decided it was time to run a 5k.  This is something that I've had on my Bucket List for a while...and I have to admit, this wasn't the first time I signed up for a race...but this was the first time that I actually followed through and did it! 

I started out with a 6-week training program.  There were times along the way that I was thinking that I was absolutely crazy for signing up to put myself through this kind of torture.  At first it was easy--in the first couple of weeks, I was running a couple of minutes then walking a couple of minutes--and it was even fun.  But, the more I ran, the more I got bored, and the more I got bored, the more I wanted to quit...BUT!  I knew I'd be pretty upset with myself if I did...I signed up for this thing, and by golly, I was going to do it! 

On race day, I was so nervous...was I going to be able to do it?  Was I going to finish last?  And why, on earth, do I have to be there an hour early to sit around and wait and get even more anxious??  The time approached.  About 10 minutes to 8:00, they called us all down to the starting line...warm up, National Anthem, a few words about the "rules of the road"...and we were off! 

Within the first three minutes, people were FLYING by me...even the little kids who were running were passing me right and left.  I tried not to let it get to me and kept to my own pace...first mile down in 11 minutes!  Now, for those who are more experienced runners, a mile in 11 minutes may not seem very fast, but this was about 2 minutes faster than I had been averaging during my training runs.  I was pumped!  2 miles...same story!  I kept up the pace.  At this point, I was on target to finish well before my projected time...

...AND THEN CAME THE HILL...oy vey!  Yes, indeed, it was a killer.  Approximately 1/2 of the last mile was STRAIGHT UP HILL...I thought I was going to die.  And just when I made it to the top, I rounded the corner and it kept going!  It was in that moment that the race became totally mental for me...I had to be my own coach...you can do it, you can do it, you can do it...and sure enough...I DID!!!

3.1 miles. All running. 5:30 faster than I thought I would finish...victory is mine!!! 

So what's next in my running adventures?  Well, I've already signed up for my next 5k!  I'm planning on running a couple more over the summer...and I've even decided to train for a 10k that's going to be in September.  All of these years, people have always said that running races becomes addicting, and I always thought they were crazy...turns out, it is!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP