Adventures in Glazing...and new curtains!
>> Saturday, February 18, 2012
A few weeks ago, I was having lunch with a friend when I got this text from Jimbo: "Estate sale in Belle Haven today til 4pm I'm in the house, three floors!". Obviously, this man knows the way to win my heart--I love estate sales! He was kind enough to check it out before he texted me to come over. I called on the way and the conversation went something like this...
Jim: "Hey B, I'm in this house and they have several things that I think you would like. There's an end table, some things that look like your Dicken's Village pieces, and an interesting-looking hutch that I think we could put in the kitchen!"Jim: "Ok. I think you're going to like the hutch. It's old and looks pretty dated, and not really our style, but it has good bones. It's listed for $100, but I bet you can bring them down to a better price, especially since it's late in the day."
It has good bones and you can talk them down...I've trained him well! He was right, the hutch did have good bones (see picture to the right--sorry for the blurriness, cell phone pic!). AND, I was able to negotiate for a killer price! While I really didn't have a need for the top part, the bottom cabinet was the perfect size for under our cut-out in the kitchen. Next refinishing project ready to go!
But how to refinish it? As I've mentioned before, Pinterest is addicting. While at times I worry that I'm wasting away longing for other people's homes and clothes, I am generally pretty motivated and grateful for the style ideas and step-by-step DIYs that I have pinned over the past months. Take this tutorial, for example, that shows you how to paint and glaze furniture. I thought this would be the perfect technique to use on the new buffet, and I was right!!
Before Pics: Perfect size for the space, not-so-perfect style for our taste!
After painting: I used Valspar's Grandma's Cherry Pie paint in semi-gloss. I wanted to have some shine, but not too much, and it's good to go with a semi-gloss so you can wipe it down (something necessary in a kitchen!) I was worried because it looked a little pinker than I was hoping it to be, but I tried my best to wait until I was completely finished before freaking out over the color!
Step 3: Glazing. I used a small bottle of glaze from Valspar. It was super affordable and it only took about half of the small jar. I went this way instead of buying a quart because I wasn't sure if I would actually use this technique again. Next time, I'll buy the bigger size--I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of glazing in the future!
The finished product...Ta Da! I LOVE how this turned out! I found the knobs at Lowe's, and the hinges were the original hinges on the piece. I love the contrast, and I love the antiqued look of the darker spots from the glaze technique!
In other news, I recently got a sewing machine (thanks for the early birthday present, Mom and Dad!). Learning to sew has become my new obsession, especially since seeing several tutorials for how to sew your own curtains (Pinterest to the rescue, again!!). Here are the curtains and the valance I recently sewed and installed with some help from Jimbo, the professional curtain rod hanger!
Generally, I'm not a big fan of valances, but in our dining room, with plants and the china cabinet where they are, it really was the only option other than Roman Shades. While Roman Shades was a major contender, the fact that I had only a very small amount of fabric and no real room resulted in a victory for the valance. I have to say, I really do like the way it looks!
I went with basic panels in the living room. Same fabric as the valance, and I pulled the color from the hint of blue in the painting and also the color of antique Mason Jars, which are all over my house! This was my very first sewing project so it was a little intimidating, but I think they were successful!
I know, I know, not curtains. But I had to share this pic of our entertainment center! It's not super new (we got it last summer/fall, but I did finally get it situated just the way I want it! Lots of blue glass and lots of pictures, I love looking at it every day!

0 comments:
Post a Comment